Saturday, October 27, 2007

Why I hate titles...

This article over at SharperIron is worth a read. I've got several problems with the underlying points of the article that the author of the SI article is referencing; however, I don't want to get into that at this time. In the comments portion over there I wrote the following:
"This is the part of the debate that gets under my skin like nothing else: people on both sides of the argument - particularly on what I call the extreme sides of the argument - would mandate that you adhere to something you don't feel is defensible biblically if you are going to claim a particular "title" to help define your beliefs to others. This is why a tend to deplore most titles, although they are generally helpful. I used to rely on the title "biblicist", but that's extremely vague....besides, who wouldn't want to claim that title for themselves in these conversations?

I've embraced Dispensationalism as well as the 5 soteriological points of Calvinism, while rejecting paedobaptism as well as the notion that the Lord's Supper and Baptism are "means of grace". I also reject the idea that the Atonement was not sufficient for the entirety of mankind (I could go on...). I find these things to be completely compatible with one another (as have many much more studied men than myself through the years).

Quite frankly, I'm quite comfortable with those on the fringes of the argument taking issue with what they perceive as inconsistencies in my theology."

No comments: