Thursday, April 26, 2007

Don't worry!

It’s overwhelming to me that God loves me enough to protect me…meet my needs…sustain me. Sometimes I allow life to become “stressful”. I’ve found myself “stressed” at times about things like finances, job security, vehicles, my children…

A case could be made that I am righteous in my concern about these things, but the reality of it is that when I find myself experiencing anxiety about things, I am most likely guilty of attempting to usurp the authority of Almighty God. Let me explain what I mean.

In Isaiah 43 we find these words:



“…Fear not, for I have redeemed you;I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.”


While these words were written to the nation of Israel, there are principles here that apply to me as a redeemed child of God. You see, He created me and He did so for a specific purpose. Furthermore, He redeemed me. He redeemed me with blood from the terrible punishment that my sin deserved, and then He goes on to demonstrate His love to me by sustaining me. I like the reaction that the Apostle Paul had to this realization…he called himself a bondservant – a slave – of Christ (Romans 1:1). As a slave to God, I have nothing – I am nothing – in and of myself. It’s all His and I’m all His. When I worry about the struggles of everyday life, it’s usually the result of my seeking my own rather than submitting to God’s way, God’s timing, and God’s plans.

I read Psalm 3 this morning and these words have been with me all day:



“But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and
the lifter up of mine head. I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me
out of his holy hill. Selah. I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD
sustained me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have
set themselves against me round about. Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for
thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the
teeth of the ungodly. Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon
thy people. Selah.”

No comments: