Saturday, April 21, 2007

My wife makes me better

She really does. She's made me a better husband, a better father, and a better man. I often get "lazy" in my approach to my roles of husband and father. I don't think I'm alone in this, either. There's a natural tendency to think that we are doing our job simply because we are making enough money to pay the bills, and to keep everybody fed, clothed, and educated. That's just a portion of our "jobs" though.
When my wife and I got married nearly 10 years ago, I took a vow to, amongst other things, love, honor, and cherish her. This isn't just something we say at weddings...it's biblical language! Ephesians 5, 1Peter 3, and Colossians 3 all speak to this fact. This idea of loving and honoring my wife is something that should come easily if I view her properly. Ephesians 5:25 is one of the more remarkable verses to digest concerning this: "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave Himself for her." What a remarkable thought - what a great responsibility! In a previous article here, I wrote these words in describing what Christ did for the church:

"I cannot understand this amazing love. For centuries men have pondered the question…. “Why would One such as this suffer and die for one such as I? ”Why would He trade in His kingly crown for a crown of thorns? Why would He give up His place in the Heaven of heavens shrouded in glory to be wrapped in this putrid flesh? Why would He exchange angels worshipping at His feet for men pounding nails through them? The angels sang His praises. Men mocked Him and spat upon Him. In His former estate, the entire heavenly host gave to Him…worship and adoration. Here, the creatures of His creation took from Him….always wanting food, or a miracle, or health.... They took everything they could from Him…even His life."

Is this really the example that I am to follow? Am I really to love my wife with this love that will give everything I have for her? The short answer is...yes! As incomprehensible as the love of Christ is, it's the example I am to follow in my love to my wife.
Now the Bible also speaks to the responsibilities that the father has toward his children - raising, discipling, and disciplining them - as well as the responsibility of the man to provide financially for his family. However, I think that if I get my arms around just how I am supposed to love my wife, all the rest comes easy!

No comments: